Latest update: May 2020
At ADC we consider that the right to privacy and informational self-determination are crucial elements to a free and democratic society, for which individuals should have control over the use of their data.
Within this philosophy, we shall adopt all measures at our reach to limit the amount of personal data that we collect. Likewise, we shall not use any information we receive for different purposes from the ones stated in this policy. We do not sell, lease or perform transactions of any type which involve the handing over of personal information.
How do we collect data?
In our website and its subdomains, there are three different types of data collection, each one with specific and unrelated purposes.
- When you access any of the websites mentioned above, its host server automatically gathers specific information on your visit (process explained in the following section). However, by enabling the Do Not Track option in your browser settings, you can avoid any personal data collection whatsoever. In order to do so, just follow the instructions given in Firefox, Chrome and Brave. The information saved and processed by Matomo – the web analytics tool we use – is not considered personally identifiable information under data protection law.
- On subscribing to our newsletter, we request your email address with the only purpose of sharing information with updates of our activities. Remember that you can unsubscribe any time you wish by clicking on the option shown at the end of each newsletter.
- When calling for applications, such as to our Fellowship program, or volunteer or collaboration opportunities, we collect the information regarding your inquiry to ADC’s specific email address. Such information is neither stored nor automatically processed, and the email manager deletes it when the call is fulfilled. Any information submitted which is not related to active calls is automatically eliminated.
Which information do we collect?
The main data collection process happens automatically when you visit our website. In order to manage the analytics of our visitors’ information, we use Matomo, a free and open-source software tool which allows us full control over what is collected, who can access it and how it is stored.
Our institutional website and its associated subdomains respect users’ choice of enabling the Do Not Track option. Hence, in such cases, no register of the visit is stored.
The analytics data is stored in the same server as our institutional website and is not handed over or shared with any third party apart from ADC.
On visiting any of our websites, the following information is collected:
- Anonymized IP address (we only see the first and second octets, e.g. 192.168.0.0)
- Date and time of your visit, according to your time zone
- Name of the page you are visiting, e.g. the title of an article or report
- URL of the page visited
- URL of the previously accessed page from where the link to ADC was obtained, e.g. a search browser or a social networking site, in any case without identifying individual user
- Screen resolution and device model used
- The files you check on or download from our webpage, e.g. documents in PDF format
- External links clicked on from our page
- Main language of your browser
- Type of browser used
- Keyword searches that you perform on our website
How do we use the collected data?
The information managed through Matomo allows us to understand how our publications are consulted online. Some of the aggregated data(e.g. total number of visits to an article), depending on specific projects, is privately shared with our donors in order to evidence part of the impact of our work.
IP addresses are used for obtaining an estimate of the countries and cities from which we are visited. We deem necessary to identify such places, since it allows us to appreciate the reach of our projects, many of which have an international perspective. This information helps us orientate our actions and design advocacy campaigns to disseminate our work more effectively.
The information referring to the version of your browser and Operating System, model device and screen resolution, helps us improve the way in which we show you the content on our website, in order to provide the best possible user experience, so that access can be enjoyed by the broadest number of people at our reach.
If you choose to subscribe to our newsletter, your email address shall be used only to send you relevant news of our actions. Your address is stored in the Mailrelay platform, which is only accessed by our Communications Officer, under supervision of the Executive Director.
In the case of applications that we receive for our Fellowship or Volunteer Programs, the information submitted by email is used solely during the selection and interviewing stages.
How long do we store the collected information?
Data which is automatically stored by Matomo is classified in:
- The visits and actions of each individual user
- Aggregate data reports, which do not include information on individual visits
Regarding the information on the visits of an individual user (which does not include any data on an identified or identifiable person), registries are stored for one and a half years. After this period, such data is completely eliminated from our server. The aggregate data reports are stored indefinitely.
The retention period of this information depends on its specific purpose, as mentioned beforehand, since statistics on the visits to our websites help us show the impact of our activities to the donors who fund ADC.
Association for Civil Rights (ADC) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental and non-partisan organization, located at Tucuman 924, 8 floor, Autonomous City of Buenos Aires (CABA), Argentina.