Contributions to UNESCO on digital platforms regulation
The Association for Civil Rights (ADC) submitted recommendations to the UNESCO Regional Consultation on its proposal Guidelines for Regulating Digital Platforms for Information as a Common Good. In them, we mainly aim to understand legislation as a means to ensure that information is for the benefit of all and freedom of expression is a human right, always within the democratic system.
The document responds to a list of guiding questions from which it develops the main fundamentals to be considered in a regulatory framework such as the one proposed by the international body. Such principles include:
- Recognize the diversity between legal systems in their interpretation of freedom of expression
- Contemplate the vital role of formal and informal journalistic activity in social networks
- Add more areas to which companies should report, apart from already existing
- Demand regulation and accountability from governments
- Guarantee gender parity and diversity in the composition of regulatory entities